We have a Vulcan program which doesn't run on Server 2003 where the client does have a full remote ADS Server running. However, I can get access to a Server 2008 of the client to run that program and fill a dbf for an internal process. This ADS is not visible on the 2008 server and I wanted to use local server for that. As the EULA allows to use local server on "some similar manner where no data is used or seen by a client" I added MTIER_LOCAL_CONNECTIONS=1 in settings, set ADS_SERVER_TYPE = 3, and added the PC name (the portion before the domain) + IP + port 6262 in ADS.ini.

Despite all that, the 5185 error keeps coming. Why?

asked 13 Dec '14, 21:42

Dick%20IC2's gravatar image

Dick IC2
accept rate: 0%

If the entry is correct according to the help file (part of the settings section) and there's no typo, then the only remaining source is a different ads.ini file. Did you use an external tool (Sysinternals) to verify the ads.ini being loaded?

link

answered 15 Dec '14, 02:23

Joachim%20Duerr's gravatar image

Joachim Duerr
8.7k1031133
accept rate: 18%

Thanks Joachim, you reply helped me to find the cause which was that the ADS.INI had 2 [SYSTEM] sections and the MTIER_LOCAL_CONNECTIONS=1 was in section 2, which is apparently ignored. I think I should be able to perform my test task now.

How would I have been able to see if ADS.ini is loaded with Sysinternals?

link

answered 16 Dec '14, 15:08

Dick%20IC2's gravatar image

Dick IC2
accept rate: 0%

get process monitor from the sysinternals suite. In Process Monitor add a filter 'Path ends with ads.ini' and set it to include. Then launch your application and view the output in Proces Monitor. It will list the exact path to the ads.ini file your application uses.

(17 Dec '14, 00:51) Joachim Duerr
Your answer to the original question.
If responding to a request for additional information, please edit the question or use the comment functionality.
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×93
×79

Asked: 13 Dec '14, 21:42

Seen: 7,638 times

Last updated: 17 Dec '14, 00:51

Advantage Developer Zone Contact Us Privacy Policy Copyright Info