I built 2 identical PC's a few months ago. One at home, one at my office. Both have C++ Builder XE8 and Advantage Local Server TDataSet components version 11.10.

The PC at home works perfect, when I run my application it loads in 2.9 seconds, and exits in about 1 second.

The office PC has issues. It takes anywhere from 40-55 seconds to start my program, and about 30 seconds to exit my program. The source code is identical, the compiler is identical.

I added some code that writes to a text file a timestamp, and closing certain database tables can take up to 10 seconds. I close all of my tables manually once exit has been clicked. There are about 25 tables being closed. About 20 of the 25 close in .01 seconds, but the other five take anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds each. What is really odd is some of the tables contain no records, and one contains only 4 records.

One thing I will check next time I am at the office is the size of all of the ADS DLL's and I will compare them with what I have at home. I did reinstall the TDataset components yesterday but it had no effect, the speed is still very slow.

I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas why this might be happening, and some tips on how to find the problem.

Thanks!

=====================================================================================

Both machines are running AVAST. I tried disabling AVAST on the office PC, it had no effect.

The behavior is 100% repeatable, it's super slow every time I run the application.

I can do a benchmark, but the office PC runs my other programs fine, it's just this one application with the load / exit speed issues. The PC is very fast, I7 processor, 16gb memory, brand new.

I verified the ADS DLL's are the same on both PC's, and there is just one copy of each file in the C:\Windows or it's subfolders (c:\windows\system32).

Thanks for the help!

Is your office PC running any additional applications or services? May be a different virus scanner?

Both running AVAST, I tried disabling it, it had no effect

If this behavior is repeatable, do you see the same set of tables taking longer time to close?

100% repeatable, always the same tables.

Have you benchmarked the disk performance? Is it comparable for the two PCs?

It's a super fast PC. Brand new (less than a month old). Other apps running Advantage databases run super fast, it's just this one application.

Thanks for the help!

asked 01 Oct '15, 20:59

Davi%20in%20Wisconsin's gravatar image

Davi in Wisc...
accept rate: 0%

edited 09 Oct '15, 00:43

Couple of questions:

1. Is your office PC running any additional applications or services? May be a different virus scanner?
  2. If this behavior is repeatable, do you see the same set of tables taking longer time to close?
  3. Have you benchmarked the disk performance? Is it comparable for the two PCs?

Thanks,

Parag Mahadane

link

answered 02 Oct '15, 19:03

Parag%20Mahadane's gravatar image

Parag Mahadane
accept rate: 4%

edited 02 Oct '15, 19:06

if it's the same set of tables, I'd suggest to pack them and try again.

link

answered 02 Oct '15, 23:17

Joachim%20Duerr's gravatar image

Joachim Duerr
8.7k1031133
accept rate: 18%

I uninstalled the virus scanner just to make sure this isn't the issue (instead of disabling). Had no effect.

I timed the AdsConnection1->IsConnected = false; It took 30 seconds. And the AdsConnectionDictionary->IsConnected = false; took 15 seconds. I've tried this on 3 PC's and it is only slow on one of the PC's.

The Window's version is "Ultimate". Is there any chance this could be some sort of permissions problem?

This PC is only used for program development, it's otherwise a very fast PC.

Thanks for the help. I just upgraded to ADS 11.10.0.30 and this didn't solve the problem.

(16 Feb '16, 08:16) Davi in Wisc...

OK, I finally made some progress! The problem is a Mushkin SSD drive and my ASUS hard disk don't like each other. I looked at windows "Performance Monitor", and the Mushkin is my secondary hard disk, and the read and write times were incredibly slow (same speed as a floppy disk). I moved all of my data files to the normal (non SSD) hard disk, and now performance is great.

link

answered 17 Feb '16, 20:52

Davi%20in%20Wisconsin's gravatar image

Davi in Wisc...
accept rate: 0%

Your answer to the original question.
If responding to a request for additional information, please edit the question or use the comment functionality.
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×14

Asked: 01 Oct '15, 20:59

Seen: 1,618 times

Last updated: 17 Feb '16, 20:52

Advantage Developer Zone Contact Us Privacy Policy Copyright Info