On some computers, I get native error 1500; Failed to load Unicode support DLL or shared Object when I try to create FTS indexes. Last time I cured the problem by installing the ADS, but I need to figure out what the real problem is b/c this is a single user who doesn't need the ADS. Is there some DLL I'm missing?

Thanks (I'm using v10.10 dlls)

asked 29 Aug '14, 09:48

keith%20c's gravatar image

keith c
accept rate: 12%

I found this: To fully enable Unicode processing in an Advantage application, the files aicu.dll in Windows or aicu.so in Linux, and icudt40l.dat must be deployed with both the server and the client.

I already included the aicu.dll, but didn't have the icudt40l.dat file. I'll post an update if that solves the problem.

(29 Aug '14, 10:12) keith c

Adding that last file solved the problem. But still have two questions:

1. Is it an advantage file? (icudt40l.dat)
  2. Why do some installations work without it?
(29 Aug '14, 10:38) keith c

The Advantage Client Engine setup package (aceapi.exe on Windows) contains a folder with all files necessary for redistribution.

(01 Sep '14, 01:38) Jens Mühlenhoff

ICU comes from here: http://site.icu-project.org/

The ADS developers decided not to reinvent the wheel and are using the cross platform ICU library for Unicode support.

(01 Sep '14, 01:40) Jens Mühlenhoff

Hi Keith

Your comments regarding aicu.dll and icudt40l.dat are correct. These are needed and these are part of an ADS client distribution.

As to why some of these work and some don't it is hard to say.

• Possibly some installations have these in the system or syswow64 folder from installing something else?
  • are different installations using different versions of your product compiled with different versions of Delphi? Some of the newer versions of Delphi use unicode.
  • Perhaps there is a character that is unable to be translated to the native codepage
  • Access of the system views (i.e. system.tables etc) are unicode. there are ANSI equivalents (system.ansi_tables)
link

answered 29 Aug '14, 14:49

Edgar%20Sherman's gravatar image

Edgar Sherman
5.4k13185
accept rate: 25%

The documentation should be updated: http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/webhelp/Advantage11.1/ace_distributing_an_advantage_client_engine_enabled_application.htm

There is no mention of the Unicode support files (aicu32.dll and icudt40l.dat), also the local server configuration file (adslocal.cfg) is not mentioned on this page.

(01 Sep '14, 01:36) Jens Mühlenhoff
Your answer to the original question.
If responding to a request for additional information, please edit the question or use the comment functionality.
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×79

Asked: 29 Aug '14, 09:48

Seen: 2,095 times

Last updated: 01 Sep '14, 01:40

Advantage Developer Zone Contact Us Privacy Policy Copyright Info