Hi folks.

Have a client who is moving his local software with ALS to a new ADS server on Linux. What considerations should I take or what are the correct steps to do that?

I've created two folders ( data and program ) on the server with root permitions. Should I copy the local data with a external drive or with something like WinScp ?

I also think that after copying the data I have to run on the server the script to establish again the permitions to the user/group advantage to my folder data, correct ?

I also know that it's not necessary to have the data's folder shared with samba, but my programs' folder should be, so I can see it from any Windows terminal, correct ?

I'd appreciate so much any help to setup this.

Regards

Leo.

asked 23 Jun '14, 07:06

lbidi's gravatar image

lbidi
accept rate: 14%

The two largest concerns (which it sounds like you've thought about) are permissions on the source files and the connection path. As long as you use the setpermissions script to set the proper owner and file access mode on the data files, it really shouldn't matter whether you use WinSCP or an external drive to copy the data.

Once the data is on the target system (and Advantage installed), I'd suggest creating a server-side alias that points to the data so that it can be accessed without SAMBA. (Then, any steps you need to take to make your program accessible via SAMBA won't have any bearing on the access to the data files.) At that point, you'd use a connection path similar to the following: \Server_Name:Server_Port\Alias_Name\ or \Server_Name:Server_Port\Alias_Name\Dictionary_name.add (which you would use would depends on whether you are using data dictionaries or not).

link

answered 23 Jun '14, 08:57

Jed%20Thomet's gravatar image

Jed Thomet
2.7k12648
accept rate: 38%

I'd also set LOWERCASE_ALL_PATHS=1 in the ads.conf file and use lowercase only.

(24 Jun '14, 04:34) Joachim Duerr

Thanks Jed and Joachim for your answers.

I've managed to open my DD with ARC and works perfectly. I have the problem that with my system and configured ADS.ini exactly as the ARC's connection , I've got error 5104. My system it's on a shared folder on the same server with samba, perhaps it's a problem with permittions on the linux server. I will try later to run it from my laptop locally and see what happen.

Any idea will be very helpfull.

Will comment my results.

Regards

(27 Jun '14, 09:20) lbidi
Your answer to the original question.
If responding to a request for additional information, please edit the question or use the comment functionality.
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×133
×93
×79

Asked: 23 Jun '14, 07:06

Seen: 1,610 times

Last updated: 23 Jul '14, 08:23

Advantage Developer Zone Contact Us Privacy Policy Copyright Info