I have a user who has our program installed on a peer to peer server without a database server - that is he's using the ads local server. All workstations simply execute short cuts to the same copy of the program on the shared drive. All workstations work if they are they only station using the program. All workstations fail with a 7077 if someone is already in the program. I've looked at adslocal.cfg in the executable directory and it has the userlimit set to 5. I'm reasonably confident that I have other sites setup the same way without issues. I could install the program separately on each computer and edit ads.ini to point to the shared data but before I try that I thought I'd ask if there is another setting that could be causing the problem.

asked 25 Feb '14, 13:17

FMCook's gravatar image

FMCook
accept rate: 0%

Which version are you using (adsloc32.dll and ace32.dll)? If it is 11.10.0.0 or 10.10.0.49, then I don't think a 7077 indicates that the 5 user limit was hit.

(26 Feb '14, 07:49) Mark Wilkins

we're distributing ads32.dll from 2010 which I'm 99% sure is from the version 10 Delphi component set. can you think of anything other than the user limit which would get a "can't open dictionary" error when more than one workstation tried to make a connection at the same time but connected fine for any single workstation, and was corrected by a server reboot?

(26 Feb '14, 08:20) FMCook

A number of errors can result in a 7077. They all get translated to 7077 for security reasons (to avoid providing attack information for a bad guy in a remote server situation). Doesn't really do much for local server since the bad guy obviously has direct access to the files anyway, but it works the same for consistency. The error log should have more details about what the error was.

(26 Feb '14, 08:31) Mark Wilkins

answering part of my own question, I had the user reboot the server and that fixed it. obviously the user count in the data dictionary had gotten stuck somehow. pretty sure we're explicitly closing the connection in our destructor but we'll double check that. do we need to add some sort of a logoff to the destructor? is there a system command that will display the user names that we could build into a connection failure exception?

link

answered 25 Feb '14, 13:31

FMCook's gravatar image

FMCook
accept rate: 0%

there's no such command. One other thing you might check is the collations used in adslocal.cfg. They should all contain the same, defined collation. Otherwise a 707 could happen, too.

(26 Feb '14, 00:04) Joachim Duerr

since there is only one copy of the program on the server and all of the workstations are using it with shortcuts to the program on a mapped drive, there is only one adslocal.cfg so whatever collation it sets has to be the same for all workstations. rebooting the server did fix the issue so I'm 99% sure the problem was that the user count in the data dictionary needed to be reset. why closing the program on all workstations didn't reduce the count to zero remains a mystery.

(26 Feb '14, 06:45) FMCook

even if they use the same adslocal.cfg...if the collation entry is empty, every machine might use it's own. So you should make sure that it contains a valid entry;)

(26 Feb '14, 07:23) Joachim Duerr

even if they use the same adslocal.cfg...if the collation entry is empty, every machine might use it's own. So you should make sure that it contains a valid entry;)

(26 Feb '14, 07:24) Joachim Duerr

I looked at the file we're distributing and I don't see a setting. Pretty sure I started with a file from the architect and added a USER_LICENSE line that we set to 1 by default and change to 5 if the user has purchased multiuser access. I will try to email a sample file to you.

(26 Feb '14, 07:34) FMCook

these are the lines I referred to:

ANSI_CHAR_SET=Engl(Amer)
OEM_CHAR_SET=USA

and both look good. So it's not a collation issue that led to the problem.

(27 Feb '14, 05:04) Joachim Duerr
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer to the original question.
If responding to a request for additional information, please edit the question or use the comment functionality.
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×79

Asked: 25 Feb '14, 13:17

Seen: 2,016 times

Last updated: 27 Feb '14, 05:04

Advantage Developer Zone Contact Us Privacy Policy Copyright Info