Could somebody please explain whether I need to have the Advantage Server installed if I only wish to use the local server? I'm a bit confused to say the least. I thought the local server is just a DLL file - is this incorrect? Also - can the local server work across a network (3 computers accessing the same file stored on an external drive, for instance).

I'm using Delphi XE4 Professional with FireDac add on.

Answers greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Stan

asked 06 Feb '14, 06:14

stantheman457's gravatar image

stantheman457
accept rate: 0%

You don't need to have ADS (Server component) installed for using Local Server. ALS can access files in the network, up to 5 concurrent users. ALS is a bit more than one DLL, you also need to deploy the other client engine files (including the unicode DLLs and the local server config). See help file for details.

link

answered 06 Feb '14, 06:22

Joachim%20Duerr's gravatar image

Joachim Duerr
8.7k1031133
accept rate: 18%

Hi Joachim. Thanks very much for the quick answer. Does this mean I can uninstall the Advantage Server and still work with the Local Server? Is the local server installed as part of the main pack, and if I uninstall the main server, will the local also be uninstalled?

Many thanks.

Stan

(06 Feb '14, 06:27) stantheman457

you can uninstall the server component. The client component has to be installed (or copied) separately. I'm not sure if it's already part of DXE/FireDAC shipped, but you can download the ACE API from the devzone at http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/content.aspx?key=31.

(06 Feb '14, 06:31) Joachim Duerr

Brilliant. Many thanks for your help.

(06 Feb '14, 06:34) stantheman457
Your answer to the original question.
If responding to a request for additional information, please edit the question or use the comment functionality.
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×79

Asked: 06 Feb '14, 06:14

Seen: 1,486 times

Last updated: 06 Feb '14, 06:34

Advantage Developer Zone Contact Us Privacy Policy Copyright Info